Poseida Therapeutics, Inc. is seeking a talented and self-motivated scientist to join our Gene Therapy team at our San Diego, CA, location. This position offers an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated individual to develop new gene editing and gene therapy products in an exciting and dynamic environment focused on cutting-edge gene editing technology. The Research Scientist will have a PhD or equivalent in molecular biology, cell biology, virology or related field, ideally with 2+ years of industry experience in AAV biology and vector development. Primarily, the role will:
- Design and optimize AAV vectors incorporating Poseida’s gene editing platform for potential therapeutic products
- Screen and select ideal AAV serotype for delivery of a therapeutic product candidate
- Work closely with process development in identifying and developing potential approaches for a scalable AAV production system
- Use our proprietary gene therapy platform technologies, including XTNTM and RTNTM TALEN, NextGENTM CRISPR, piggyBacTM and Footprint-FreeTM Gene Editing to create new human therapeutic candidates
- Application of gene delivery platforms including electroporation, nanoparticles, and viral transduction
- Evaluate diverse approaches to optimize gene editing and gene transfer into primary cells, including in vitro experiments and preclinical in vivo studies
- Implement and coordinate novel strategies utilizing gene modified cells for correcting genetic diseases
- Analyze data and report to multidisciplinary groups
- Attend scientific meetings, present results and evaluate and report on research
- Keep current on trends, new products and technologies in the gene therapy and gene editing fields
- Manage 1-2 Research Technicians or Research Associates
- Report to the Senior Director of Gene Therapy
Poseida is a spinout of Transposagen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc., a leader in gene editing technologies. Poseida is currently developing CAR-T and gene therapy products for cancer and orphan liver diseases. Poseida is also partnered with J&J’s Janssen to develop allogeneic CAR-T therapies against cancer. Poseida has best-in-class genome engineering for stable transgene integration or targeted gene editing. Proprietary platform technologies include piggyBac™ DNA Modification System (capable of delivering 300kb+ of cargo for stable integration and long-term expression), Footprint-Free™ Gene Editing System, NextGEN™ CRISPR, and XTN™ TALEN site-specific nucleases. Poseida aims to advance the first CAR-T and gene therapy product candidates into Phase I clinical trials in early 2017. Please visit www.poseida.com for more information.
Required Experience and Skills:
PhD or equivalent in molecular biology, cell biology, virology or other relevant field and, ideally, 2+ years of industry experience with AAV biology and vector development. However, candidates with 2+ years of AAV biology experience in academic environment should apply.
- Established publication record and deep understanding of AAV biology and its application in gene therapy in vivo models and expression optimization in target cells, or in production methods of AAV vectors.
- Expertise in in vitro and in vivo assays involving hepatocytes is highly desirable.
- Experience with lentivirus and retrovirus vectors is highly desirable
- Experience with flow cytometry and immune-staining (IHC/IFC)
- Basic knowledge in gene editing, genome engineering, and of gene delivery techniques using transposon is highly desireable
- Demonstrated ability to be independent, self-motivated, as well as work in a highly collaborative setting
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent documentation skills
- Excellent critical thinking and analytic skills and great trouble-shooting ability are required
- Must be passionate about performing research that may lead to the treatment or cure of human disease